Centre for Continuing Education
Professional development in New Zealand
Many professions and organisations value international training as a way to gain a competitive edge or develop competence.
If you want a high quality professional development programme for your staff, we will design one to meet your needs. Whether your group wants to study for a few days or several months, we can help.
We work closely with you to design a unique programme. Our presenters are professionals from local industry and the eight university faculties. They are all highly regarded as experts both in New Zealand and internationally. We also arrange field trips, industry visits and other activities to enhance classroom learning.
Busy professionals look for programmes that allow them to develop new skills and knowledge quickly. International programmes help professionals to develop both academic and cultural competencies.
By choosing us as your provider of an international professional development programme, you benefit from:
- content designed to suit your specific needs
- content underpinned by current research and internationally benchmarked practice
- presenters from a range of disciplines within The University of Auckland and local industry
- contact with New Zealand colleagues in your profession or business
- delivery that reflects the range of learning needs and styles of adult learners
- regular monitoring to ensure that the programme is meeting the participants' needs
- scheduling which fits your dates and times
- your people also enjoy the safe and pleasant environment of New Zealand's pre-eminent research-led university located in Auckland.
When your programme is finished, we help you evaluate and adapt the programme for future groups as required.
Your customised programme can focus on one particular subject or cover a range of topics.
In partnership with academics and local industry leaders, we develop a programme that meets your professional development objectives, required timeframes and financial resources.
We encourage interactive learning and strongly emphasise practical application of theory. Learning can take place on campus in the classroom and off campus through field trips, industry visits and other activities.
Field trips and industry visits
International professional development programmes usually combine lectures with field trips and industry visits. The Centre for Continuing Education has experience and expertise in arranging visits to organisations relevant to the course of study.
The University of Auckland has a set of health and safety protocols that we strictly observe when organising off-campus activities. These protocols ensure the safety of everyone taking part.
To make each learner's experience valuable and enjoyable, we work closely with participants, accompanying academics and study group leaders.
We arrange the following and more, depending on your needs.
- Programme design
- Curriculum development
- Pre-departure information
While you are here
- Airport greeting and transfers
- Orientation programme
- Programme coordination
- University library resources
- University Health Services
- Field trips
- Social events
- Farewell function
- University of Auckland certificate of attendance.
The Centre for Continuing Education can advise you about accommodation to fit your budget.
There is a good range of quality and budget hotels or apartments within 15 minutes walk of the University campus. The University Halls of Residence are often available during the summer holiday from November to February.
We can also arrange homestay accommodation within a 30-minute commute of the University. You may prefer this option for the length of the group's stay.
Homestay accommodation includes a room, breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and all meals for weekends and public holidays.